Following years of unsuccessful extension attempts, Minnesota’s Historic Tax Credit was about to expire. This little-known bill needed to gain some visibility and momentum quickly – a unique challenge during COVID-19.
The Historic Tax Credit needed to become a timely, politically relevant, and urgent topic relevant to the general public. We realized that framing the Historic Tax Credit as an infrastructure and jobs bill could raise its visibility and build consensus to maintain the program.
To accomplish this we:
● Created a strategic brand, RevitalizeMN, that we could organize a diverse coalition around.
● Mobilized constituents to target their legislators, in 100% of key districts.
● Reached over 5 million people through media coverage across the state, leading the nation in media coverage regarding a state Historic Tax Credit.
● We generated a 2500% increase in media attention compared to previous attempts to extend the tax credit.
● Created a social media presence that had 49x more post engagements than in previous years.
Erin Hanafin Berg, Policy Director of Rethos, wrote,
“In all my years in this field, I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a consistent and varied amount of press about historic places and preservation processes in MN – and I think that’s largely attributable to the media outreach Alta Via has done on RevitalizeMN’s behalf. ”